Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Your Identity in Christ




There are times in life when you get a strong sense of who you are not. A housewife can easily say, “Compared to an architect, my life is nothing.” A Boy Scout can easily say, “Compared to a Marine, my life counts for nothing.” A machine operator can say, “Compared to a doctor, what I do is nothing.” Have you ever started your morning out and had those kinds of thoughts? We can all compare ourselves with someone else and feel that we are not contributing to this life or feel like we are a nobody. We all want to be known or feel we have contributed something to make a difference. I believe the enemy thrives when people begin to sway toward this line of thinking or begin to believe these kinds of lies.

What about thinking of ourselves as God sees us? In John 10:14-15, Jesus says “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me – just as the Father knows me and I know the Father – and I lay down my life for the sheep.” Jesus not only knows us but He lays down His life for us. The closer we get to Jesus, the more we realize that being known by Him is worth much more than being known by the world. He is the difference maker in our lives.

Some of you who understand that Jesus is talking to the Jewish people need to read the next two verses. John 10:16-17 says, “I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd.”

Did you see it? Jesus is talking about you and I. We are mentioned in the Scripture. It is as though our very name is written in the passage. So when we have the urge to obsess over those who are more important than we seem to be, or when we desire to be known ourselves, we can be assured that Jesus knows us. He knows and loves us so much that He died for us. If that doesn’t put an end to thoughts of inadequacy, then continue to read and pray until the Lord changes your mind. You are blessed to be who you are in Christ. Don’t let anyone talk you out of it. Instead, spend more time getting to know Jesus and listen to His voice.

Looking forward to an awesome Sunday as we continue our series on the “I AM.” This week we are looking at John 14:6, “I am the way, the truth, and the life.” Let’s grow together and celebrate the fact that God has chosen each one of us and that make us more important than any American Idol.

Joy in Jesus!

Pastor Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment