Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Nothing Like Jesus


“Nothing Like Jesus”

I can remember attending Billy Graham Crusades as a child and then I participated in one during the mid 1990s. It was a sight to see the many people who responded to the gospel in large stadiums. What a sight to see. It brings chills to me even to this day recalling the empowering spirit that was evident. Another memory is of the gospel singer, George Beverly Shea. His powerful baritone voice would vibrate all over the stadium. George opened up for Billy Graham Crusades for 60 years starting in 1947. George went home to be with the Lord yesterday after a brief illness. He was 104 years old. What a long life he lived for the Lord. At age 23, he composed an arrangement of, “I’d Rather Have Jesus.” He lived his life in that manner. Let’s look at the words today and be reminded that there is nothing more fulfilling than having Jesus – nothing!

“I’d Rather Have Jesus”
I’d rather have Jesus than silver or gold;
I’d rather be His than have riches untold;
I’d rather have Jesus than houses or lands.
I’d rather be led by his nail pierced hand.

I’d rather have Jesus than men’s applause;
I’d rather be faithful to His dear cause;
I’d rather have Jesus than worldwide fame.
I’d rather be true to His holy name.

He’s fairer than lilies of rarest bloom;
He’s sweeter than honey from out the comb;
He’s all that my hungering spirit needs.
I’d rather have Jesus and let Him lead.

Than to be the king of a vast domain.
And be held in sin’s dread sway.
I’d rather have Jesus than anything
this world affords today.

Words by Rhea F. Miller
Music by George Beverly Shea

May that be your prayer today. I want to invite you to come on Sunday for a powerful service. God’s Spirit is moving and we are enjoying His presence in our services.

Joy in Jesus!

Pastor Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment