Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Reflecting


REFLECTING
In Psalm 26, we see David asking the Lord to examine his life and see where his heart is. When I think of it, it sounds like David is asking the Lord to reveal to him where his heart is. For God already knows all things and that includes the state and passions of our heart. Look with me at this revealing Psalm:
“Vindicate me, Lord, for I have led a blameless life; I have trusted in the Lord and have not faltered. Test me, Lord, and try me, examine my heart and my mind; for I have always been mindful of your unfailing love and have lived in reliance on your faithfulness.” Psalm 26:1-3

He goes on to say that he does not hang around deceitful, hypocritical or wicked people. He is faithful in spreading the good news of Jesus and loves to spend time in the house of the Lord. He is opening himself up for God to reveal what state he is in. It is a time of reflection.

When is the last time you have reflected? I just attended the funeral service of Larry Niswander’s brother, Terry. Each time you attend a service like that you are invited to reflect and examine. Why is it that so many wait to do that during a funeral? David didn’t wait on a funeral. He was a man after God’s own heart. He was constantly reflecting and asking God to help him examine his heart and mind.

John Wesley would reflect on his life daily to see if there was any departure from the law of love and ask the Lord to forgive him when he found himself waivering. Here are two questions he would ask himself:
1.       Have I (after doing what He requires me to do about them) left all future things totally to God’s handling?
2.       Have I resumed my claim to my body, soul, friends, fame, or fortune after I gave it to God?

Part of reflecting is not only examining past actions, but it is examining future motives. It is seeing if I have taken back anything I have given to the Lord.

Why not take some time and reflect on your life? Be completely honest with yourself and ask the Lord for his holy assistance. He wants to guide and direct your life unto everlasting blessings.

What a great day it was on Sunday to fellowship at the Fun Fest following the service. It turned out to be a beautiful day and part of what made it that way was all the people who worked together to make it happen. Thank you for all you do for the Kingdom of God.

This Sunday we continue our series called, “Going Deeper,” as we look at the life of Moses and his close relationship to the Lord. We look forward to meeting Rao Yi, Ronglan, and Rao Yana as they join us in ministry. We will also be praying for our Work and Witness team who will go to Indianapolis for “One Heart, Many Hands.” This mission emphasis will take place before our Nazarene General Assembly that takes place once every four years.

Great things are happening! See you on Sunday!

Joy in Jesus!

Pastor Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment