Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Camp Meeting

Camp Meeting


 
This week we have been in camp meeting. Every year I make it a priority to attend several services as well as try to stay a few days. It is just a great atmosphere to be in. I think it is good to just get away from the regular routine and remove things like television and certain things we have grown accustomed to. Another reason I do it is to get my kids in an environment where the Truth is sought out in a worshipful setting. There are also a lot of people who attend that are good God-fearing people. There have been several occasions where I have seen my children conversing with people who are encouraging them in the faith. I love everything about it. The great thing that has happened is my children love it too. Every year we go and spend time together talking, laughing, and worshipping together.
 
I remember growing up and watching people respond to God’s call at a church camp. My first girlfriend was at a church camp. I have grown deeper in my relationship with the Lord at church camp.
 
For those who have never gone before, please let me show you around the 50 acre property our district owns in St. Marys. There are cabins, a lodge, full hook up camping spots, lots of trees, a pool, and lots of places to just relax and watch children play. It’s a beautiful place to be and raise your family with great memories.
 
Last month I talked about three questions parents should ask themselves at every stage of parenting during a sermon series entitled, “Will Our Children Have Faith?” I believe that a place like camp meeting could fulfill this mandate God encourages us to establish in our homes. We really are a product of the relationships, the experiences, and the decisions we have made. Look at the questions we need to ask ourselves:
 
  1. What are you doing to enhance your child’s relationship with you?
  2. What are you doing to advance your child’s relationship with God?
  3. What are you doing to influence your child’s relationship with people outside your home?
Joshua renews the covenant made between God and His people and challenged the people to not serve any other gods. He said, “As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord” (Joshua 24:15.). The people began to recall all the times the Lord has delivered them and they too said that they will serve God only.
 
If we can all recall the times the Lord has delivered us in the past then I believe our response will be that of Israel. The enemy wants to distract us and put other things in our way. But don’t believe anything from this world. Make it a priority to have a “camp meeting” time with your family. I would like to think you can start new memories of providing spiritual growth for your family in St. Marys. If not St. Marys, make it somewhere.
 
On Thursday night, Pastor Nate will be getting ordained. Do you remember when past staff members were ordained? It’s always good to be a part of a minister's growth. Then on Friday and Saturday there are different conventions throughout the day. It will be packed full of some good reports and kingdom activity. Each evening there will be a service at 7:00 p.m. with Dr. J.K. Warrick preaching. You will really enjoy messages from God’s Word.
 
Come and feel the excitement in the air.
 
Joy in Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment