Wednesday, August 13, 2014

What Do You Value?

What Do You Value?


I’m back! Yes, I have been in the office this week catching up on what I missed. I look forward to being back in our church on Sunday. Just think, I have 7 weeks of sermons built up in my loins. Boy is it going to be a long day (NOT!).

As I spent some time emptying out things in my mind and heart, I started seeing things from a different perspective. It’s amazing what happens when you get away from the daily routine. It reminds me of a poem I read once from an unknown author,
 

 I counted dollars, while God counted crosses.
I counted gains, while He counted losses.
I counted my worth, my things gained in store,
And He sized me up by the scars that I bore.
I counted honors and sought degrees,
He counted the hours that I spent on my knees.
I never knew until one day by the grave,
How vain are the things we spend life to save.

 
When life slows down a bit and you have time to do some deep spiritual processing, you quickly begin to see what you value – what truly is important to you. Values are the things in life that are most important to you. They are guideposts and convictions that ought to shape your decisions and your lifestyle. Unfortunately, there are times in life when things get so busy and full that the obvious does not appear as obvious anymore. You’ve heard the phrase, “Can't see the forest for the trees.”

In Matthew 6:19-21, Jesus addresses the heart of the issue:
 “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; for where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.”

It is good to get away and get a fresh perspective. Values are an issue of the heart. When you put your focus on things that matter most then you set yourself up to make an eternal impact on people and situations under your watch.

I am so glad you don’t have to go on an extended leave to receive a new perspective from the Lord. God wants to help us to value what matters most in view of eternity.

It’s going to be a great day on Sunday. Let’s anticipate a Spirit of renewal.

Joy in Jesus!

Pastor Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment