Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Taking Your Temperature

Taking Your Temperature

 Winter has arrived. I know that it came in December but I am really feeling it today. After a few snow storms, it begins to set in a little more. I remember last year when over 9 weekends in a row, there was snow. It would always start on Saturday night and snow through Sunday. This past weekend it decided to do it again. I hear that it may repeat itself this weekend. Oh Mr. Winter, would you just hold off until Sunday night? I find myself thinking thoughts like that.

Along with winter comes sickness. Runny noses, sore throats, and aching bodies are just a few of the symptoms that drag us down. When these things happen we take our temperature to see if we have a fever. That is a sure sign of sickness. After a little medication and some rest, we slowly get back in the routine of life again.

Have you ever thought about taking your spiritual temperature? Unfortunately when we begin to get spiritually sick we make excuses for it. We blame it on being busy, not having enough time, just going through a discouraging time, or say things like, “God can’t expect me to live like Jesus did.” What if we made excuses for some of the physical illnesses that enter our bodies? Some would not live very long.

Did you know that heaven and hell are real places? You will decide where you will spend eternity by the way you lived on this earth. In Matthew 7:21-23 Jesus says, “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’”

That was spoken from the very mouth of Jesus. It tells me that there are going to be some good people who don’t make it to heaven. There are people who are living a defeated life today and yet look like they are living in victory. I think it is time to take your spiritual temperature and see if there is some sickness that needs attending to. Are you hungering and thirsting for Jesus? What do you think of Jesus words in John 14:12? Jesus says, “Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.” Do you know how desperately Jesus wants to move in and through your life?

Jesus says, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest.”Matthew 11:28

Some of you need to rest from your burden and come unto Jesus. There may be some who need to join a Discipleship Class on Sunday Morning and have true spiritual fellowship with the Word and others. There may be some who need to be more consistent in your daily Bible reading and prayer. Some of you just need to take your temperature and ask the Lord what you need in order to rest in Him.

I am looking forward to a great day on Sunday. Pray that the snow holds off until Sundaynight. Remember there is Valet parking available for the elderly, women with young children, and those who don’t feel confident on their feet in this snow. Just stop out front and someone will help you in and park your car. We want to do all we can to have a safe environment.

Don’t forget to take your temperature!

Joy in Jesus!

Pastor Mike


www.findlayfirstnaz.org

No comments:

Post a Comment