Wednesday, March 18, 2015

The Solid Rock

The Solid Rock

What an awesome night last night was with our Upward Awards night celebration. There were many adults and children who responded to the Spirit of God in the service and throughout the season. I will be sharing the highlights in the weeks to come.

Jesus never guaranteed a crisis-free life. He predicted that storms would batter the house built on the rock as well as the one on the sand. Last week, I wrote about the guest of a lifetime. I want to continue that theme this week. Let’s begin by looking at Jesus' words about a wise and foolish builder.

24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.” Matthew 7:24-27.

As we continue through this Lent season, I am reminded that Jesus’ life was filled with crisis – family misunderstandings, satanic opposition, false accusation, betrayal, legal injustice, abuse and execution. Who could be a more empathetic house guest? Healthy households deal with crisis in a positive manner. They don’t make catastrophes of minor incidents. When there are real problems, they pull together. Have you ever had a time when your family did not handle a crisis very well? I wonder how many of our conflicts would turn out differently if we only realized the Master of all conflicts was there to help us resolve it peacefully?

I want to bring our attention to an old hymn written in the 1800s. The words still ring true today. Those who know the tune can sing it as you read along.

The Solid Rock
My Hope is built on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness. I dare not trust the sweetest frame, but wholly lean on Jesus’ name.

Chorus: On Christ the solid rock I stand; all other ground is sinking sand. All other ground is sinking sand.


What crisis are you presently facing? Failing to turn to the word of God and applying it is like building your house on sand. Saturating in the word of God and applying it is to build on a secure rock. I may not always quickly embrace a conflict that may arise, but I can know for sure that if I hunger and thirst for more of Jesus, no matter how hard it may be, I can be assured of a peace-filled outcome.

The last three verses of this great hymn are powerful:
When darkness seems to hide His face, I rest on His unchanging grace. In every high and stormy gale, my anchor holds within the veil.

His oath, His covenant, His blood, support me in the whelming flood. When all around my soul gives way, He then is all my hope and stay.

When He shall come with trumpet sound, O may I then in Him be found! Dressed in His righteousness alone, faultless to stand before the throne!


I’m looking forward to another great and powerful day on Sunday as we continue to be led to the Cross of Jesus. Choose to live out the word of God today in power and strength.

Joy in Jesus,
Pastor Mike


www.findlayfirstnaz.org

No comments:

Post a Comment