Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Feelings of Nostalgia

Feelings of Nostalgia

This week I am at St. Mary’s Campgrounds where I used to come as a kid. Yes, many years ago when I was in Junior High, I came to church camp right here is St. Mary’s. I remember getting in trouble at night and having to go sit in the bean patch with only my shorts on. Those counselors were in their early twenties and got in trouble for that devastating punishment on junior high boys. The ironic thing is that they are pastors today. Don’t worry, I have forgiven them. I’m not going to let something that small stand in the way of God’s forgiveness for me. I have had a lot of fun through the years with these men over their lack of judgment.

Other memories include the notes passed to a cute girl during lunch or chapel asking if they would sit with me during service that night. All they had to do was circle yes or no. If those notes fell in the wrong hands, you were toast the rest of the week. Those were the days.

One memory I think of the most is going to an altar to ask forgiveness of my sins. As the evangelist shared this week, “It was my John 3:16 experience.” I also had a Galatians2:20 experience as well. A Christian who has only had the John 3:16 experience doesn’t quite know how to live a victorious life without dying to themselves. Galatians 2:20 says,“I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” It is one thing to accept the free gift of salvation. It is the decision that needs to happen to begin a relationship with Jesus. In order to mature in the faith and continue a forward movement, we have to deal with the self centered issue that is prevalent in all of our lives. I praise the Lord that I can die daily so He can live in and through me.

Another thing I like to do is to bring my kids. We usually stay in a room and experience camp together. For me, it is like taking them to Disney World. I have much more fun experiencing a theme park through my kids. As I attend the services and converse with the people, I love doing it with my kids. From the time I dedicated them to the Lord, I promised the Lord in front of the church, that I would bring them up in Christ, nurture them, protect them the best that I knew how, and get them to rub shoulders with God-fearing believers. I get to do all of that at camp meeting. As the Word is being preached, they are hearing it in a setting that is conducive to being open to the Spirit of God as it moves in their life. It is exciting to see the love they have developed for camp week.

If you are reading this and have never been to a camp meeting service or environment, then I want to encourage you to come and bring your kids. If you don’t have kids, come anyway. It is good for everyone and God is wanting to get you away from the normal routine of life to pour Himself into you. What are you waiting for? Camp is happening the rest of this week and evening on Sunday at 6 p.m. Another bonus in our very own Jessica Myers will be getting ordained on Thursday night.

Today is day eight of our focus on prayer leading up to July 4th. If you don’t have a copy of the days of Scripture and Prayer, then go to our website (findlayfirstnaz.org) and click on the information tab. You can download the paper from there and have a time of reading and prayer for our Nation.

Scripture Focus:
Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.     Romans 13:1

Prayer:
Dear Heavenly Father,
We lift to those Christian men and women serving in all levels of government. We pray that that you would have your hand of protection upon them. Grant them wisdom, understanding and discernment.  Remind them that they are accountable to you for each decision they make. Give them the discipline to seek Your will in all things. We pray in the name of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.  Amen

I’m looking forward to a great day at church on Sunday.

Joy in Jesus!

Pastor Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment