Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Reminiscing

Reminiscing

This week I have had the opportunity to attend PALCON. It stands for Pastor and Leaders Conference. The theme is refocus, refresh, retool, and revision. It’s always good to get away from the routine and seek the Lord to renew your heart, soul and mind. You have to make a priority to get away for a time of saturation from time to time. The most effective time to “get away” is when you are not totally depleted of everything. So many times we wait until our head is treading just above water. We get away to replenish, then we return only to feel pushed down from the daily stress of life and quickly return back to status quo. I want to live above that level.

The location this week is key for me. It is held on the campus of Mount Vernon Nazarene University. It was just a few years ago, ok maybe a little longer, that I attended college here. Many things happened on this campus. It was where I spread my wings of independence and had to get myself up in the morning and make sure I was where I was supposed to be. I settled the Lordship of Jesus Christ in my life on these very grounds. I was called into full-time ministry; I learned how to love God, love others, and serve from the depths of my heart. It was here that I met Vickie and she changed my life forever (in a good way). I truly put God in the center of all things and laid foundational blocks the Lord continues to build on.

One of the things I noticed as I drove on the campus was that everything changed from the time I attended. There were now large trees, roads in new places, new parking lots, new buildings, and things just weren’t the same. They were all good changes. It’s amazing to look at all the expansion. Just like MVNU, as time continues to move forward, life continues to move forward and changes happen.

As I looked around at the changes that have taken place, I began to reflect on my life. Have I changed for the better? Have I matured in the faith, allowed God to stretch me, loved my wife as a husband should, nurtured my children and taught them what it is to be a fully devoted follower of Jesus Christ? As I sit at this desk typing this blog, I remember wanting to please the Lord with my whole heart — wanting to some day following through on all of the covenants and commitments I made in my life. That was many years ago before I chose the path I was to follow. It reminds me of the verse found in Philippians,“Not that I have obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus” Philippians 3:12-14.

I appreciate all of the depth that MVNU offered me in my formative years. I am also thankful that I did not have to stay there to continue to grow in my relationship with God and others. Yes, there have been many changes on the campus that were necessary to develop into the university that it is today. But thank the Lord that I have also been refined by the fire and ever changing in my walk with the Lord. Don’t ever settle for mediocrity; don’t ever look back wishing to repeat something good in your past. Sometimes, settling for the good and familiar will be the thing that stands in the way of the best. Strain toward what is ahead and win the prize for which God has called you.

I will have to say that there is one thing that I wish I could repeat – it has to do with the body. Now if my body would just get back to the way it used to be I think life would be much better. That’s another story not worth going into. Be blessed today!

Joy in Jesus!

Pastor Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment