Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Attributes of God #3 - Self-Existent, Self-Sufficient and Infinite


Three weeks ago I started a series of email devotionals called, “Faith Builders.” It is important to be ready in and out of season when it comes to our faith.

In a world that seems to be trying to move away from God, you will find many people asking questions concerning the character of God. They want to know who He is, what He does, and why He does things the way He does. Questions like: “How can God be just and loving at the same time?” “How can He send people to hell just because they sin a little bit, aren’t people basically good?” Why do good things happen to bad people while bad things happen to good people?” In order to answer these questions, we must understand God’s attributes.

We have looked at how God is Omniscient (all knowing), Omnipotent (all powerful), Omnipresent (everywhere), eternal, immutable, and incomprehensible. These are reassuring to know that God is all of these things. Let’s continue to look at the internal attributes of God.

God is Self-existent
John 5:26 says, “For as the Father has life in Himself, so he has granted the Son also to have life in Himself.” This points to the fact that since God is self-existent, then He can never be destroyed, die, or cease to exist. He will always be there. No one who serves an idol can make that claim. All other gods will cease to exist one day.

God is Self-sufficient
Romans 6:36 says, “For from Him and through Him and for Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever! Amen.” God does not need anything or anyone to accomplish His will for me. When I look at it that way I can’t help but think of the times that I have tirelessly worked to try to fix things. When I look at how God is Self-sufficient, it reminds me to first go to prayer and consult the one who is able to more than I can even imagine.

God is Infinite
Psalm 139:7-12 says that I cannot go anywhere the Spirit is not. Even the dark places I think I can hide are like light to Him. It says that God’s right hand will guide me and hold me fast. That is comforting and alarming. The times when we go our own way and let things happen are still in the presence of the Almighty. In my finite being, I can totally depend on the infinite to guide me. Why would I not give Him my all?

The more I look at these character qualities of God, the more I realize that I cannot miss the chance to talk to Him each and every day. My daily walk and fulfillment directly coincide with my time in prayer and Bible reading. I want to encourage you today to get caught up in these three qualities of God. Oh what a Savior…

This Sunday is Grandparents day with a meal following the service. If you are a grandparent, then invite your family to enjoy worship and a meal with you this Sunday. If you are a grandchild, then invite your grandparents to do the same. It will be a great day!

Joy in Jesus!

Pastor Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment