Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Victory Beyond Our Circumstances

Victory Beyond Our Circumstances

I love the start of a new year. New resolutions, more pounds to shed (if only I would have lost the ones from last year), new habits to form, and many opportunities to bring glory to God’s name. Then all of a sudden an old problem reappears. Yes, it has returned. The roof that took many months to replace on our church has decided to spring a leak. It’s not even Spring yet (I need to joke in order not to cry). This brings back a flood of memories (pun intended) that aren’t so pleasant. I thought these days were gone. Now I sit at my computer just waiting for the ice to melt and find out what the problem is. Thank the Lord for people like Vaughn Newcomer who is able to help. But there is only so much you can do when the weather wreaks havoc on your roof.

Have you ever been there before? When you think you are through a certain issue, it returns? I thank the Lord it isn’t more serious. But it still is an annoying problem. What do you do?

I first turn to the Scripture and see in Psalm 91:1, “Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.” That’s what I need – rest. I need not fret over this or other issues. I need to rest in the Lord. Shortly after the Israelites crossed through the Sea and the Egyptians had drown, they were complaining of being thirsty (Exodus 17). They had stopped at a place called Rephidim which means, “resting place.”

Rephidim was also the place where the Israelites defeated the Amalekites. It is where  Aaron and Hur kept the hands of Moses lifted up to the Lord as He interceded in prayer. When his hands were up then they were winning the battle. When they were down, they began to lose. It is because of the faithfulness of Moses' intercession and the support of Aaron and Hur that the Israelites were victorious. But there is one other thing we should not fail to remember. It is through the power of our God that we can live and be victorious.

When challenging times come —and they are bound to come — we need to hit it head on with the Spirit, attitude, and presence of the Almighty God. We do that when we rest in Him. I have a list of things that I want to do about this leak but I have to first seek God’s way of handling it. He is the Lord of all things. The enemy will try to get a foothold, but rest assured, he is a defeated foe. I must not re-empower a disempowered devil. I must stand my ground and claim the victory in Christ. I think I will go get a cup and go get a drink of water and show the devil that he is no match for my God.

“The victory is mine,” says the Lord….

As we face another new year, enter it with confidence and know that we are on the winning side. “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28

Rest in Jesus and take your stand against a defeated devil. Drink up…

Joy in Jesus!

Pastor Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment