Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Chewed and Digested

Chewed and Digested

Easter Sunday was a powerful day. Both services were filled with the Spirit of God. What a beautiful day to worship the Lord together. Following the service I was thinking, “What would it take for people who are seeking the Lord this Easter, to continue to seek Him each and every week?” My conclusion was the same for those who are in a thriving relationship with Jesus. It takes a hunger for more of the presence of God. Too many times the enemy steps in on the most sincere intentions and plants the seed of restlessness, causing people to seek fulfillment in other things besides God.

Look with me what the Psalmist writes:
“How can a young person stay on the path of purity? By living according to your word. I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Praise be to you, Lord; teach me your decrees. With my lips I recount all the laws that come from your mouth. I rejoice in great riches. I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word.”        Psalm 119:9-16

From what I see, the Psalmist is putting emphasis on treasuring up the word of God. In order to treasure it I must decide to spend not only quality time in the Word, but I must spend quantity time in the Word. I am to read it each day and let it become a part of my routine as I do putting on my clothes.

An emphasis is placed on declaring it to others. As I share the Word with others, it becomes a part of my whole day and God uses His Word to impact others for the sake of Christ.

An emphasis is also placed on meditating on the Word. As I meditate and memorize, the Scripture becomes alive in my thought life. During the day I am reminded of the fingerprint of God and can see His activity in every thought and relationship. It begins to help me to truly take every thought captive and make it obedient to Christ (2 Corinthians 10:5).

Then I see an emphasis on delighting in the Word of God. It is good to read it each day, meditate and memorize it, declare it to others, and make it the compass of your life. It is even better to do all of those things and sprinkle in delight because the things that bring us the greatest pleasure are the things we place as a priority. God designed us that way.

Look at what Francis Bacon, a seventeenth-century English philosopher, said about reading in general: “Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some to be chewed and digested.” So what he was saying is, “Some books are to be read on in parts; others to be read, but not curiously; and some to be read wholly, and with diligence and attention.” The Bible belongs to the last group.

So I am not talking about chewing and digesting your lunch today. I am talking about living a lifestyle of chewing and digesting the Word of God. Setting up your day to be completely nourished in God’s Living Word.

On Monday, our church will have a team travel to our sister church in Marose, Haiti. Pray for the team of 24 people who will be traveling and seeking God with their whole heart. We will be building a three-classroom school building, helping the people with learning how to birth healthy babies, minor medical procedures, and continuing to proclaim the name of the Lord. Pray for safety and God moments as we see what Jesus wants to accomplish in and through this trip.

“So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in Him, rooted and built up in Him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.”  Colossians 2:6-7

Joy in Jesus!

Pastor Mike

www.findlayfirstnaz.org

No comments:

Post a Comment