Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Turning Inward


Turning Inward


 
I was just thinking this morning how fast time is traveling. Just a week ago I was in Marose, Haiti, building a school. We returned home on Monday and I froze as I stepped off the plane. The temperature in Haiti was in the 90s. While sleeping in Marose, I don’t think I have ever been so hot, lying on a cot, smelling like I was about to rot on that very spot. It would be good to have the rest of this devotional rhyme, but I think not.

Our trip to Haiti was incredible. There were 22 people on the trip. Each one played an important role as God put this team together. The building was not as big as our previous ones were so we had a little more time to get to know the children. I really enjoyed seeing our people come alive as they allowed God to love the little children through them. I believe everyone returned home with a new hope and vision of what God wants to accomplish in their lives. We will be sharing our amazing trip in the weeks ahead.

I think Psalm 19 reflects my thoughts as I journeyed with our brothers and sisters in Haiti. I am amazed at the handiwork of God as David was when he observed the heavens, under the dominating influence of the sun. He then went on to describe the influence of the Law of the Lord which enlightened Him. Then he prayed for complete cleansing so that his life would be acceptable to God. The experience each one of our team had prompted sincere self-examination. May the impact of God’s creation and the very words of the Bible cause us to turn inward and seek the cleansing power of His Spirit.

Psalm 19
1 The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. 2 Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they reveal knowledge. 3 They have no speech, they use no words; no sound is heard from them. 4 Yet their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world. In the heavens God has pitched a tent for the sun. 5 It is like a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, like a champion rejoicing to run his course. 6 It rises at one end of the heavens and makes its circuit to the other; nothing is deprived of its warmth. 7 The law of the Lord is perfect, refreshing the soul. The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple. 8 The precepts of the Lord are right, giving joy to the heart. The commands of the Lord are radiant, giving light to the eyes. 9 The fear of the Lord is pure, enduring forever. The decrees of the Lord are firm, and all of them are righteous. 10 They are more precious than gold, than much pure gold; they are sweeter than honey, than honey from the honeycomb. 11 By them your servant is warned; in keeping them there is great reward. 12 But who can discern their own errors? Forgive my hidden faults. 13 Keep your servant also from willful sins; may they not rule over me. Then I will be blameless, innocent of great transgression. 14 May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.

I’m looking forward to Sunday as we celebrate Mother’s Day. I will be starting a three-week series on the family. It’s going to be a great day…

Joy in Jesus!

Pastor Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment