Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Life of Purpose


Life of Purpose


 What a great day on Sunday as we saw 22 babies and dedicated 8. We are blessed to have so many young families seeking the Lord and His blessing on their family. This Sunday we will celebrate baptism. If I get any more blessed in our services, someone is going to have to carry me out. God is doing a great work and we are blessed to participate in it. Every Sunday is a gift and we are to be a good steward of it. As a matter of fact, we are to be a steward of the gifts and graces God has given us. What is a steward? I’m glad you asked. It is someone who manages or looks after something or someone. In the case of our gifts and graces, we are to manage them well. That includes learning what they are, learning more about them, and being accountable for them. It also includes the time we spend using them.

The famous composer, Tchaikovsky put a sign out on his gate: Visiting hours Monday and Tuesday between 3 and 5 pm. Other times please do not ring. Have you ever been tempted to put a sign up like that? In essence he was saying, “I’m a composer. This is how I am going to bless the world with how God has gifted me – not by idle conversation.” He knew his purpose and lived his life to the fullest according to that purpose.

Our life is a gift from God. We are all responsible for what we do with it and are to be a steward of every minute contained in that gift.

Paul knows his purpose and the power behind it. We all share the same purpose in knowing, loving, serving, and obeying God with all of our heart. But Paul’s specific purpose was to preach the gospel. Look with me in Ephesians 3:1-8,
“For this reason I, Paul, the prisoner of Christ Jesus for the sake of you Gentiles— 2 Surely you have heard about the administration of God’s grace that was given to me for you, 3 that is, the mystery made known to me by revelation, as I have already written briefly. 4 In reading this, then, you will be able to understand my insight into the mystery of Christ, 5 which was not made known to men in other generations as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to God’s holy apostles and prophets. 6 This mystery is that through the gospel the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body, and sharers together in the promise in Christ Jesus.  7 I became a servant of this gospel by the gift of God’s grace given me through the working of His power. 8 Although I am less than the least of all God’s people, this grace was given me: to preach to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ.”

This passage shows us that our purpose is designed by God to bring glory to His name. It will only be realized through God’s power and not our own. Have you tuned into what God’s purpose is for you? Seek God’s heart and let Him fulfill that purpose through you today and each day by setting your time and heart seeking first the kingdom of God.

Come on Sunday to one of our services with great anticipation.

Joy in Jesus!

Pastor Mike


No comments:

Post a Comment