Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Crowding God Out

Crowding God Out


Last Sunday I finished my series on the book of Jude. I mentioned that it is a mirror of 2 Peter 2. Peter and Jude were talking about how false teachers can distract people of faith and get them to run a course they were not prepared to run. When someone turns from their faith and begins to walk in another direction it is called backsliding. Peter says in 2 Peter 2:22, that it is like, “A dog returning to its vomit and a sow that is washed and goes back to wallow in the mud hole again.” Not a pleasant thing to think about but it happens. The backslider begins to see his or her sin as attractive and desirable. But God doesn’t. It is not just a problem of human weakness. It is the sin of crowding God out by filling your life with self. Peter also says in 1 Peter 5:8, “Be self controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.” After experiencing revival as a church and seeing God move in our lives, the enemy is not going to let up. Verse 9 continues and says, “Resist the devil, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of suffering.” Yes, turning from God is as disgusting as a dog returning to his vomit.

Let me encourage you today to keep current with your relationship with Jesus. Keep the revival fires burning in your heart. There is a great hymn called “Search me, O God” written by J. Edwin Orr. It talks about the cure for backsliding or a sure remedy to keep a vibrant relationship with Jesus Christ. Meditate on the words today as you seek the Lord and also pray this for others you come in contact with.

Search me, O God, and know my heart today,
Try me, O Savior, know my thoughts, I pray;
See if there be some wicked way in me;
Cleanse me from every sin, and set me free.

I praise Thee, Lord, for cleansing me from sin;
Fulfill Thy word and make me pure within;
Fill me with fire, where once I burned with shame;
Grant my desire to magnify Thy name.

Lord, take my life, and make it wholly Thine;
Fill my poor heart with Thy great love divine;
Take all my will, my passion, self and pride;
I now surrender, Lord, in me abide.

O Holy Ghost, revival comes from Thee;
Send a revival, start the work in me;
Thy Word declares Thou wilt supply our need;
For blessings now, O Lord, I humbly plead.

This Sunday we will be celebrating 75 years as a congregation called, “Back to the Future.” Come and celebrate a great heritage as well as a great future God has laid out before us.

Joy in Jesus!

Pastor Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment