Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Just Another Ordinary Day

Just Another Ordinary Day



In Luke 24:13-35 we see Jesus encounter two men who were caught up with the events that had just taken place. Jesus had died, was buried, and was believed to have been raised from the dead. These two men were so engrossed in the moment that they did not realize that Jesus Himself was walking and talking with them. Jesus even poured Himself out to these men and explained what all the Prophets had said concerning the events that just took place. They probably understood it clearer than they ever had before because it came from the One whom it was about. Their hearts were burning within themselves because the King of kings was speaking to them. It was just another ordinary day and they were going through the motions as they normally did. They were not even open to the fact that they were with Jesus until Jesus broke bread and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened and they saw things for what they were.

We can’t be too critical of these men because we too have been so preoccupied with things happening in our life that we missed a real encounter with Jesus. He is actually in more places today through His Holy Spirit than He was in this story. I have found myself wishing that I was one of the men on the road to Emmaus. I think to myself, “I would have recognized Jesus from the very first word.” Then I quickly am humbled when I think of the times I have really missed seeing His hand at work through His Holy Spirit because of being preoccupied. As a matter of fact, the disciples learned that it was much better to have Jesus living in them than for Him to be physically present. The realization of Jesus living inside of us takes every ordinary day and turns it into extra-ordinary.

During our revival services with Stephen Manley, our attention was drawn to the fact that Pentecost happened so we could live like Jesus. Revival takes place when one person lives in the reality that Jesus is living inside of them and they are able to walk in the light. Soon, the revived begins to walk in the light with another person, horizontally as well as vertically. This other person is probably going to be someone close. It could be a spouse, a brother or sister, or a close friend. It is amazing what happens when we allow God to turn our normal days into something extra-normal. I look at it this way, I am either going to return back to what I was before revival by allowing others to dictate the end result, or I can let God make a change in others by using me to change those around me and determine the outcome. I think I like the latter plan better. That is when revival breaks out wherever I go. It has nothing to do with me, it has all to do with Jesus. I am just called to “be” faithful in all I do.

Wasn’t it an honor to have over 24 veterans in our service on Sunday? I didn’t realize we had so many attending our church. We are a blessed church because of their willingness to serve. This Sunday I will be finishing up the book of Jude. Jude points out that the people who are dividing the church are trying to live in their natural instincts and not in the Spirit. It is an interesting thing to ponder as we think of maintaining a spirit of revival in our lives.

On Sunday we will also have several babies being dedicated. It gives the church an opportunity to support the parents of these little ones and pray for them as they raise them in the Lord. What a special time of worship we will have when we recognize God as the miracle giver of our children. Every life matters at every stage of life because they matter to God.

So tell me about your everyday ordinary day. What is God doing around you?

Joy in Jesus!

Pastor Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment