Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Tying or Unleashing

Tying or Unleashing
 
I was reading Mark 6 the other day and saw something that hit me like a ton of bricks. I can possibly tie Jesus’ hands and diminish the impact He wants to have in my life and the lives of others around me. You know the story. Jesus is in the heart of His ministry. Mark doesn’t mess around. He goes from Jesus’ baptism right into His full fledged ministry. Jesus is telling parables, calling disciples, healing the sick, submitting to the Father, telling more parables, and then He goes to His hometown. Things come to a crashing halt. Not because He wants them to, but because they are too familiar with Him and took offense at the things He was doing. Jesus said, “Only in his hometown, among his relatives and in his own house is a prophet without honor” (Mark 6:4). They were not open to allow Jesus to be who He was called to be and they did not believe.
 
Don’t misread this passage. We do not have authority or power over Jesus. However, our faith does determine the outcome of some circumstances though. We can’t miss that. If it is God’s will and our faith is not in line with what He is doing, then we can tie His hands. Look at the next few verses. “He could not do any miracles there, except lay his hands on a few sick people and heal them. And He was amazed at their lack of faith”(Mark 6:5-6). Jesus was amazed at their lack of faith. They should have known better. So Jesus was forced to move on and perform miracles elsewhere.
 
There was another time Jesus was amazed. It is found in Luke 7:2-10. “Jesus was entering Capernaum and a centurion’s servant was sick and about to die. The centurion heard of Jesus and sent some elders of the Jews to him, asking him to come and heal his servant. So Jesus went with them. He was not far from the house when the centurion sent friends to say to him: ‘Lord, don’t trouble yourself, for I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. That is why I did not even consider myself worthy to come to you. But say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and that one, ‘Come,’ and he comes. I say to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.’ When Jesus heard this, he was amazed at him, and turning to the crowd following him, he said, ‘I tell you, I have not found such great faith even in Israel.’ Then the men who had been sent returned to the house and found the servant well.” This time Jesus is amazed at such great faith. The result was Jesus being able to perform miracles.
 
Tell me, which do you want to be known for? Do you want to tie God’s hands or unleash Him this Christmas? It is pretty plain that we have a role to play this Christmas. You may not be up on stage in the spotlight for all to see. But God is watching. He is looking for faith-filled people so He can do miracles in our midst. Just think, there is someone primed and ready to receive some type of miracle this season and you may be the one who holds a key element. The miracle may be hearts turning to God. Imagine . . .
 
Our first Sunday to be in our newly renovated Worship Center will be on December 13. It is going to be a great day with our choir singing, communion, and the Word of God proclaimed. Have I told you that I have really enjoyed worshipping in our Family Life Center? I really have. Our Worship Team and our people in general are so flexible. Our FLC space has remarkably been transformed into a great worship atmosphere. I love this church and everyone who attends. There is an excitement in the air. This Sunday is the Children’s Musical during the second service. The first service will be a regular service. Come with great anticipation as we bring in the second Sunday of Advent. Remember, through your faith, you unleash Jesus in the room. What a thought!
 
Joy in Jesus!
 
Pastor Mike

www.findlayfirstnaz.org

No comments:

Post a Comment