Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Overflowing Joy

Overflowing Joy

What a beautiful expression of love on Sunday as Cammi sang and people began to spontaneously stand in worship of the God who promises us to always go before us and never leave us alone. Every Sunday has become a unique expression of what the Lord is doing among us. I thoroughly enjoy worshipping with our church. It’s one of those times where you don’t want to miss the things God is doing in our midst. I believe God is answering the prayers of our people during the front row ministry and through our fasting and praying. To hear the stories of God’s hand at work in the lives of people praying and fasting is exciting. Every day I hear another story of how the Lord orchestrated a miracle or an encounter that can only set up by a Holy God. There are coincidences when God is at work.

If my calculation is right, we have a total of 168 hours each week. If you were to sleep 8 hours each night (that would be nice wouldn’t it?), then that would equal 56 hours. That means we have 112 hours left to work, eat, and spend with our family and friends. That’s a lot of time. Now just take about 3 hours out of that mix and make it a priority to come and worship together with the family of God on Sunday. I know there are other times of prayer and Bible Study with our brothers and sisters in Christ, but nothing compares to combining our voices together in worship, hearing the Word of God preached, and being available to encourage or be encouraged during our corporate time together. If you don’t, then there is so much that you can miss out on. Throw in a little preparation for our time spent together and you have a powerful time of God’s Spirit igniting a common goal.

A prayer warrior by the name of Robert Murray McCheyne wrote, “I ought to pray before seeing any one. Often when I sleep long, or meet with others early, it is eleven or twelve o’clock before I begin secret prayer. This is a wretched system. It is unscriptural. Christ arose before day and went into a solitary place. David says, ‘Early will I seek thee; Thou shalt early hear my voice.’ Family prayer loses much of its power and sweetness, and I can do no good to those who come to seek from me. The conscience feels guilty, the soul unfed, the lamp not trimmed. Then when in secret prayer the soul is often out of tune. I feel it is far better to begin with God – to see His face first, to get my soul near Him before it is near another.”

What a great way of looking at prayer. I need to get my soul near Jesus before it gets near anyone else. I need to talk to Jesus before I talk to anyone else. During seasons of doubt or questions concerning a matter you are dealing with, what would happen if you talked more to God about it than processing it with someone else? I know there are times we need to process with someone but I think we too quickly jump to that and talk ourselves out of some heart-felt reconciliation moments. Tuning myself up to be a beautiful melody for Him throughout my days should be at the center of my every desire.

Be encouraged in the Lord today. He is on the throne and the enemy is shuttering because we are stepping up our game. No longer are we going to settle for second best, spiritual leftovers, or worn out worship. My heart is in tune with the Lord, my spirit is filled with His Spirit, and my aim is my all in all. Looking forward to what God will do as we gather this Sunday in worship.

Joy in Jesus!

Pastor Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment